InsightaaS: Louis Columbus’ is one of the most popular authors featured on ATN. His A Passion for Research blog (as regular Across the Net readers have seen) is one of the most interesting sources of information on the internet; his “roundup” posts, in which he pulls together resources from many different sources (as with “Roundup Of Cloud Computing Online Courses” and “Roundup Of Analytics, Big Data & Business Intelligence Forecasts And Market Estimates, 2014“) appeal to ATN readers around the world.
Today, we are featuring another of Columbus’s “roundup” posts – this time, focused on 3D printing. In it, Columbus provides a rich variety of information:
- A market estimate from Canalys estimating growth in worldwide 3D printing sales (printers, services and materials) from $3.8 billion in 2014 to $16.2 billion in 2018, and a Wohlers Associates forecast that is generally aligned with these figures
- A Gartner forecast calling for 3D printer unit shipments of 1.1 million (95% CAGR) tby 2017, and a chart from Gartner showing that this growth is fueled by a shift from consumer/hobbyist buyers to corporate 3D users
- Insights from equity analysts who foresee 3D printing/additive manufacturing growth ranging from 18% CAGR to $7 billion in 2020 to 34% CAGR/$21.3 billion
- Research from PwC on 3D printing adoption in manufacturing
3D printing’s potential to revolutionize manufacturing is quickly becoming a reality.
From relatively simple make-to-stock to complex, engineer-to-order production strategies in aerospace, defense, discrete and industrial production, 3D printing technologies are redefining the manufacturing value chain. Investors including venture capitalists, wealth management firms and nearly every market research firm covering high technology has published 3D printing forecasts or market estimates.
A summarized list of 3D printing market forecasts and estimates is provided below:
- Canalys predicts the global 3D printing market will grow from $2.5B in 2013 to $16.2B by 2018, attaining a CAGR of 45.7% in the forecast period. For additional information see 3D printing market to grow to US$16.2B in 2018. The following table compares 2013, 2014 and 2018 forecasts and relative market growth by 3D printers, services and materials…